By Vanessa Barbic, College & Career Advisor In honor of National College Decision Day this Friday, May 1st, we thought it would be a good idea to talk about what happens after you accept admission! It’s common to feel a range of emotions from elation to relief to doubt or worry. All of these feelings are normal, but if you are feeling more nervous than excited, keep reading to get some tips to keep moving forward in a positive direction!
Get Connected With Your School Community Having a community of friends to support and encourage you is essential. Try to seek out friends who share similar interests and goals to succeed in college.
● Join your school’s “Admitted Student Facebook Group” (if there is one). Meet new students by joining discussions on the group or asking other students questions. It’s never too early to make new friends!
● Attend Freshmen Orientation in person. This will allow you to get comfortable on campus and make more friends.
Get Organized After you accept admission, your work is not over! There are still a lot of steps you need to take to enroll and start college.
● Visit your school’s portal on a daily basis to find out about important dates and tasks. Some common tasks that must be completed before school starts in the Fall include:
● Accepting your financial aid package & submitting supporting documentation
● Submitting your housing deposit
● Taking math and/or english placement tests
● Sending final transcripts
● Signing-up and attending orientation
● Submitting proof of health insurance and immunization records
● Registering for classes
● Shopping for dorm items (bedding, toiletries, towels…)
● Finding out your “move-in” date
● Making plans to get to campus for orientation and move-in day
Finally, after you accept admission don’t forget to finish your senior year strong! Don’t gamble with your future by letting your grades slip your final semester of senior year. You have made it this far and have proven you are college material so make your last semester count!