#DearCommunity from Versia Gipson

Dear Community,

My Artwork, My Experience. 

My Artwork

I drew this art piece because I felt that we are one. I felt that we needed something to show others that we can come in different shades. With all the protests going on, I deemed it necessary to convey a positive message of different skin tones, body types, and disabilities. I showed some girls with visible disabilities with missing fingers and a missing eye. This was to inform individuals that our lives matter and that we must all stick together in unity. Materials: I used the app Ibispaint X

My Experience

I am a sophomore at the University of San Francisco majoring in Biology. I’m currently involved with the USFCA hip-hop dance team called VarcitySF. My hobbies are dancing, creative writing, and reading. I use my social media platforms to bring awareness to the Black Lives Matter movement.

From,
Veria Gipson

#Dear Community is an initiative by SRA to spread awareness about social justice issues, particularly related to the Black Lives Matter movement. This student-voiced series will consist of articles, videos, and other forms of media that our students want to share regarding their personal experiences, why the movement matters to them, and their journeys of growing through unlearning/learning/re-learning. SRA’s goal is to amplify and provide a platform for student voices, bring awareness to current and relevant social issues, inform others about how these issues are affecting certain communities (including our students), and inspire ways in which you can help.